Indian dal with yogurt and cucumbers
Makes 4 servings.
3/4 cup red lentils
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala*
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 cups hot water
Salt to taste
1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
1/3 cup chopped scallions, green part only
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
4 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yogurt
4 whole-wheat pita breads, warmed
*Note: If you do not have garam masala, use 1/2 teaspoon each ground cardamom, coriander and cumin; 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and black pepper; and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Place lentils in large bowl and fill with cold water. Using your fingers, stir lentils 3 to 4 times, then drain. Repeat 2 to 3 times, until water runs nearly clear when drained.
- Transfer lentils to large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, cumin and oil. Stir to coat ingredients with oil.
- Set saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until spices are fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add hot water, bring to boil, cover, and simmer until lentils are soft, 20 minutes; dal will thicken as it cools. Uncover and pour dal into wide, shallow bowl. Set aside until lukewarm, 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, divide dal among 4 small soup bowls. Top each with 1/4 of cucumber, scallions and dill, plus 1 tablespoon yogurt. Cut pitas into 6 wedges. Set each bowl on dinner plate, surround with pita wedges and serve.
- If desired, dal can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days. Before serving, warm in microwave or in covered pot over medium heat, stirring often.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Amount per serving: 260 calories, 5g total fat (0g saturated fat), 40g carbohydrates, 15g protein, 8g dietary fiber, 135mg sodium.