Breakfast 'square-meal' squares
Makes 4 servings.
Canola oil spray
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 small carrot, shredded
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 whole scallion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 ounces firm tofu, cut in 4 pieces
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 ounces (1/2 package) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1 cup cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a loaf-shaped baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the carrot, onion, scallion and turmeric until the carrot is soft, about 5 minutes. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze each piece of tofu to eliminate excess water. When tofu resembles cottage cheese, place it in a food processor or blender. Add the egg white, remaining oil, soy sauce (if using) and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to the bowl with the cooked vegetables. Stir in the spinach and rice. With a rubber spatula, mix until well combined. Spread the mixture in an even layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until firm to the touch in the center. Cool completely in the pan. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 4 squares. Wrap pieces individually; then place in a zip-close plastic bag and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2 weeks. Eat at room temperature or after gently warming in a microwave.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Amount per serving: 153 calories, 7g total fat (less than 1g saturated fat), 17g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 355mg sodium.