Back to school: A parent's checklist
You can help your child's school year get off to a good start.
Well before the first bell rings, parents can get started on helping their child's school year go smoothly.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these tips:
- Make sure that your child is registered and that you know the date and the time school begins.
- Know how your child will get to school. Go over appropriate safety precautions such as bicycle and pedestrian safety, bus safety, and how to deal with strangers.
- Decide whether your child will eat at school or bring a lunch from home. If your child will eat at school, make sure he or she has the money to pay for meals.
- Make sure you know any rules about appropriate clothing.
- Fill out and return all health forms and emergency contact information.
- Make sure the school knows about any health problems that could affect your child's school day.
- Be certain your child knows where to go after school and how he or she will get there. If you won't be there, discuss who is responsible for the child, what the rules are and how to get help in an emergency.