Asian lentil soup
Makes 8 servings.
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 medium carrots, sliced thin
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, chopped medium
1 bunch bok choy, chopped (use green leaves and 2 inches of white stalk)
2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added lentils (or cook 1 cup dry lentils per package direction)
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon organic hoisin sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley finely chopped to garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot.
- Sauté carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion and bok choy until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Add lentils and remainder of soup ingredients to sautéed vegetables, reserving parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 155 calories, 3g total fat (less than 1g saturated fat), 24g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 8g dietary fiber, 230mg sodium.